The same goes for their latest album Kaleidoscope I listened to a couple of days ago. The playing can't be criticized but again I find myself wishing for either more challenge and/or more outright hooks in the songwriting. Somehow I get this "it's all kinda same" feeling from this. It's nice and pleasurable enough for a prog fan, sure, but that final spark or exciting idea just isn't there for me. I'll probably put this and the other Transatlantic albums on when cleaning the house and doing the dishes, but focused listening... most likely not.
* * * * *
Since the songs on Homo Erraticus cover Tull's stylistic heritage roughly between Minstrel and Catfish, I can't but judge the album on Tull criteria. Taken that way, this is a competent, solid album, a worthy continuation to the official Tull legacy. At the same time, though, I do feel a bit "...and then?" Maybe I was secretly hoping Mr. A would show new sides to him this time, since there is nothing to lose at this stage of an amazing career. But then again, why not let the perfect English gentleman do what he likes and can do best? Even if Homo Erraticus does not dazzle with originality and surprise, at least it comes with a human voice and sense of life well lived. In times like these, one should be grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment